DSL factoids

Walter Dunz Zscoundrel at netscape.net
Fri Apr 21 04:07:12 CDT 2000

The condition of the line is only a small factor in providing DSL service.

First and foremost, you must be within approximately 18,000 feet of the
switch.  This is linear wire length, not geography, as the quality of the
signal falls off the further you get from the tranmitter.  You could be
located 200 yards from the CO, but if they have to run cable 2 miles up and 2
miles back to cross the river that is in between, you will be limited to 56k
for a while longer.

Only about 45% of the current phone customers actually are eligible for DSL at
this time.  (SWB and the press will tell you this number is a lit higher, but
they have been guilty of telling tall tales before!)

Next, if you are using a provider other than SWB, then SWB must have enough
room in the central office location to allow your provider to co-locate the
proper equipment.  This is a judgement call for SWB and guess what - they
often feel there is not enough room in the Central Office facility.  (This is
the problem Birch is having here in KC, but recent court rulings have helped
to move things along a little bit.)

For many of us over the 18k limit, there is NOTHING we can do now, but relief
may be on the way.  New DSL repeater technology has been released that will
bump the limit up several thousand feet, but this only covers an addition 10
to 15% of us and will take about a year to roll out to the general public.

SWB can not force you to choose them as your ISP.  You can choose whom ever
you like, provided that ISP has the equipment in the Central Office to pick up
your data and route it to and from the ISP's location.  This is usually done
over T1's or T3's so you don't have to worry about the technology behind that
segment.