inittab missing, what do I do?

Dave Parker dlparker at dlpinc.com
Thu Apr 20 23:23:33 CDT 2000

I lost inittab on one of my systems a couple of weeks ago and had
the same problem.  Fortunately, I had another system with the
same linux distribution on it and I tar'd that inittab to floppy,
popped in the install diskette on the affected system, started the
install process, and when I got to the point in the install where
I could toggle over to another VT (Redhat and derivatives start a
shell on tty2) cd to /mnt/etc, and untar the floppy.  I'd imagine
that the point in the install process at which you're able to do
this varies from one distribution to another.

But definitely get a UPS.

--
Dave Parker/DLP, Inc.    dlparker at dlpinc.com    www.dlpinc.com
816-540-5167 voice    816-540-5218 fax     816-405-3762 mobile