inittab missing, what do I do?

Tony Hammitt thammitt at kc.rr.com
Thu Apr 20 18:57:20 CDT 2000

Get a bootable CD, back up your user files to somewhere like the windows
partition, then reinstall Linux.  This is the easiest thing to do.

Then go out and get a battery backup.  They're only $100 or so and until
Linux comes with a journalling filesystem as standard equipment, all
users should have a battery backup.  The time savings alone will pay for
it in the short run.  All users should also insist on error correcting
memory, too.  Heck, even windows will run better with ECC memory.

If anyone wants to post an actual fix for this system, that'd probably
be more welcome than my standard 'get a battery backup' rant...

Regards,

Tony