Community webserver?

Dave Parker dlparker at dlpinc.com
Thu Apr 20 17:41:55 CDT 2000

They are both a CLEC (Competitive Local Exchange Carrier) and an ISP, so
there should be no technical reasons why they couldn't offer the
service.
As I understand it (which is to say barely, if at all) it's a very
simple straightforward process requiring only a copper pair that's
relatively
clean - ideally free of taps and/or splitters except maybe a voice
splitter at the customer premises (if voice will also be carried on the
same line).  I'm not very knowledgeable about the technical aspects, but
both SWB's and Birch's objection would no doubt not be technical, but
the
fact that the service would undercut their T1 business.  According to
the
FCC order, though, the ILEC (SWBC) must make the lines available.  This
is a business where I think almost all the incumbents have all been
criticized for dragging their feet on competitive access issues,
though.
It's not hard to understand why, either.  They are essentially being
told:
"Butcher your cash cow and sell hamburger at cost to anyone who wants to
buy it."  I'll take two, hold the fries.  The relevant FCC docs are:

  Report No. CC 99-54
  CC Docket No. 98-147

You can find out more at www.fcc.gov.

--