Success -- MySQL / MyODBC replication

michael d hoskins michael.d.hoskins at mail.sprint.com
Mon Apr 10 21:06:54 CDT 2000

Yeah, you're right, the terminology in my last email wasn't technically
correct.  Yes, of course, ODBC is basically a standard API that needs
drivers to talk each database.

But, "PHP-compatible" was technically correct.  Just because there is
ODBC support in PHP does not mean that every ODBC product (even
Linux/Unix compatible ones) out there works with it.  You have to have
compatible include files and libraries for php/mod_php to hook into them
-- they still need the ability to compile on Linux/UNIX.  PHP needs to
support the particular product.

I just found that there are two that PHP hook into, OpenLink and iODBC.
(iODBC is an LGPL'ed product now maintained by OpenLink.)

There are also Linux/UNIX-compatible ODBC drivers for Postgres, MySQL,
etc., at the FreeODBC site, below (find "Drivers").  They both hook into
iODBC.

Commercial:
http://www.openlinksw.com

Free: