Success -- MySQL / MyODBC replication

Jeffrey Watts watts at jayhawks.net
Sat Apr 8 00:11:01 CDT 2000

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Bradley Miller wrote:

> Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions.  I never knew how much
> of a debate this would be -- but it's fun nonetheless.  I was using
> Oracle with Cold Fusion when at Sprint and it was a pretty sweet
> setup, but again costs come into issue.  I was looking at Microsoft
> SQL server, but by the time you license NT Server, SQL 7.0 and that
> you're looking at a pretty hefty chunk of change.

SQL Server was originally Sybase IIRC -- I believe pricing is similar.
If you feel the need to use NT, I'd recommend Sybase anyday over the MS
product.

> I think mySQL will do what I need it to do for now, but I'll
> definitely look into the PostgreSQL for some of my other heavy duty
> needs.  I wasn't aware of the licensing issues for it, I knew the ones
> for MySQL though.

PostgreSQL is under the BSD license.  It is, infact, originally a
Stonebraker project from UCB.  Its name comes from the fact that it was
supposed to be "post-Ingres" - the successor to Ingres.

J.

o-----------------------------------o
| Jeffrey Watts                     |
| Systems Programmer         | "The strength of the Constitution lies    |
| Network Systems Management |  entirely in the determination of each    |
| Sprint Communications      |  citizen to defend it.  Only if every     |
o----------------------------|  single citizen feels duty bound to do    |
                             |  his share in this defense are the        |
                             |  constitutional rights secure."           |
                             |  -- Albert Einstein                       |