Success -- MySQL / MyODBC install

michael d hoskins michael.d.hoskins at mail.sprint.com
Fri Apr 7 21:07:22 CDT 2000

On temp tables....    A log can certainly be stored flat or in a table,
etc.  I've thought about this, but I think that writing an external log
that's basically a flat file that can be replayed in the event of a
crash is safer.

What you're saying is true, but if the temp table(s) need to be
recovered after a db crash, then you got the same issue, or possibly a
worse one.

On speed (in your next email, which just came in:)  "Given the lack of a
transaction log (and other things), the latter three operations are
generally faster."  That is the point.  MySQL cut features for speed.

Postgres, on the other hand, has the goal of total/nearly-total SQL
compliance, while striving to be cutting-edge as an Object Relational
Database System.  (It's considered to be ahead of the "big four," here.)

BTW, sometimes a well-designed log can speed things up, if it's a
cyclical log that keeps appending to itself until full.  This avoids
random I/O and makes all writes sequential.  An example of this is a new
Linux filesystem called LinLog:
http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/czezatke/lfs.html  If a database was
designed around this ideal, you could get an *increase* in speed from a
log, as well as an increase in reliability.