Success -- MySQL / MyODBC install

michael d hoskins michael.d.hoskins at mail.sprint.com
Thu Apr 6 21:15:45 CDT 2000

Are you needing to replicate those two machines' databases, keeping KC
and St. Louis in-sync with each other?  Unfortunately, MySQL doesn't
*directly* provide for that.

There is a way to sorta force it to happen semi-live, using MySQL's
logging feature and by piping the data to the other MySQL server node.
However, (and the doc doesn't tell you this,) you need to write a script
that periodically resyncs things, if they can't talk to each other for
awhile.  Of course, you better use unique keys, if you try this option.
In the docs, there is a section on how to do backup and recovery,
logging, and "replication:"
http://www.mysql.net/Manual/manual.html#Common_problems  It's Chapter
20, "Solving Common Problems."  Eventually, MySQL should be adding
one-way replication as a standard feature:
http://www.mysql.com/Manual_chapter/manual_TODO.html

MySQL is a very cool SQL database.  It is a real SCREAMER for speed, and
the ability to work with programming languages is unparalleled.  The
sheer numbers of web and Open Source programmers is staggering.  And,
it's got source code and great docs.

I'd strongly recommend the O'Reilly book MySQL & msql:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/msql/ and the index is at
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/msql/inx.html  (It's a VERY good book.)
Other books can be found at http://www.mysql.net/mysql-books.html

As good as MySQL is, however, it does miss foreign keys; a good,
standard backup and recovery feature; transactions, including rollback
and commit; and true, built-in procedures/stored objects.  These are all
left out for speed and size considerations.  As a result, don't expect
is scale like an Oracle or a DB/2.  Now Postgres has all of this, I
think, and it's truly free, but it's so much slower that you gotta
strongly consider MySQL.

Compared to M$ Acce$$, though....  Egad, MySQL is awesome!

I haven't *yet* tried MyODBC.  I've been (rapidly) weaning myself off of
booting up M$ at all, at least at home, so I haven't (yet) had the need,
but I want to try it, some day, soon.

If you use MySQL commercially, you might have to pay $200.00, depending
on circumstances.  Otherwise, it's free.  You can buy a support
contract, if you feel you ever need it.  Just read the license before
you go live:
http://www.mysql.net/Manual_chapter/manual_Licensing_and_Support.html
In fact, read it if you do anything other than 100% personal use.  The
Windoze version always costs.