Ubuntu 9.04 with file issues Cross posted by intent- we're supposed to compare notes on such problems - I hope.

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 11:06:52 CDT 2010

Status 4 simply means fsck didn't fix all the errors. Some errors can't be fixed automatically. Hence it simply gave you notice of that. It doesn't mean it died, or didn't fix everything it could have. The exit statuses are listed in the man page, I believe.

The issue with multiply claimed blocks is that you have several files pointing to the same location. Cloning them will make all the files point to separate locations, and you'll wind up with multiple copies of whatever data is in the affected inodes.

The downside is, cloning those blocks is something like order fn(O^n). So it's geometrically slow.

Most likely anything in those inodes is garbage. This looks like an inode corruption issue. It's possible the data is fine in those inodes. Cloning is the safe (preserve all data), method, the other method is to not clone and just delete the affected inodes. Get paper and pencil ready and record any filenames, so you know what you lost/preserved. Record the inodes also.

You can use "ls -i" to list the inode of a file.
You can use "find -inum n" to find a file with a particular inode.

Curious which kernel and ext3 version you are running?

Regards,
Jack