Giving away / Selling old stuff

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 03:33:12 CDT 2008

I'm cleaning out my geek closet, and I need to get rid of a bunch of
stuff that's been sitting around and needs a better home than mine.

All of this stuff was working when I last used it, and it has been
carefully packed away.  I keep my toys in good shape, though it's
possible Father Time might have claimed a victim or two.  I'm giving
away a lot of the stuff, but the nicer stuff I'm asking money for.

I know it might be a bit poor etiquette to use this list for this, but
I'd much rather give away / sell these to a local geek than sell them
over eBay or give them to a charity where they might end up in a
landfill.  Please forgive me if I offend.

CONDITIONS:

Please reply off-list!!!!

When it comes to the free stuff, if you come to get it, you gotta take
it.  No window shoppers please.  I can donate a lot of this stuff to a
charity for a small amount of tax writeoff, but I'd rather a geek get
it and use it, So please don't waste my time by coming and "looking".
I also expect people to be responsible about how they dispose of this
stuff, if they do.  So if you pick up this stuff and decide you don't
want it, please don't throw it in the garbage.  Take it to one of the
many public electronics disposal places around.  They're often
advertised.  Post to this list if you need help finding one.

When it comes to the paid stuff, it's as-is.  If it doesn't work or
you change your mind, I'll feel bad but please don't come to me for a
refund (unless I've accidentally misrepresented something of course)
as I'm interested in moving this stuff out of my house and I'm not
looking for complications.  I'm not doing this as a business, I just
need to get some money for that stuff as I might actually be able to
make a dime on it (and they money helps me with the pain of parting
with my treasure).  It's not like it's expensive anyway.  :)

Note:  If you happen to be a charity and a geek, and will put the
stuff to good use, let me know and we can work something out.  After
all, I'm selling it in lieu of donating to a charity - the main
problem with which is that the stuff you donate rarely gets
appreciated and sometimes ends up in a dumpster.

If you have some more detailed questions, I'll try my best to answer
them.  But don't ask me to boot up systems or dig around inside of
them too much.  That again violates my "I want to get this stuff out
of my house quickly" clause.  I will be offering this stuff for about
a week or so, then off it goes, so act quickly, and pick up anything
you want quickly.  I won't hold onto anything for long.  If you want
to buy a bunch of the stuff and want a discount, make me an offer.
See above comments about wanting to move this stuff quickly.

STUFF I'M ASKING MONEY FOR

--- PC systems ---
* AMD Athlon XP 1600+ CPU with big heatsink/fan, Epox 8KHA+
motherboard, 3COM 3C905 ethernet, 13.6gb Seagate 136BA PATA HDD,
GeForce3 64mb AGP card, has memory, but don't remember how much, 3.5"
floppy, nice midtower case with 300W PS.  $25
* Dual PentiumII 300mHz SMP system, Tyan Thunder 2 S1696D motherboard,
Adaptec PCI SCSI card, Trident ISA video card, has memory but not sure
how much, SCSI CDROM, two internal PATA hard drives (one is a WD,
other is a Seagate I think).  This was my server for a long time, was
a really sweet system back when dinosaurs ruled the earth.  Floppy
drive, midtower case with 235W PS.  $15
* AMD Athlon Thunderbird CPU, Abit motherboard, 3COM 3C905 Ethernet,
Soundblaster Live! PCI sound card,
3dfx Voodoo3 graphics card, 2 PATA hard drives, floppy, 32x CDRW,
DVDROM, memory (but again don't know exactly how much), midtower case
with 300W PS.  $15

--- Sun Microsystems ---
* Sun SPARCclassic  $10
* Sun SPARCstation IPX  $10
* Sun SPARCstation IPX  $10
* Sun SPARCstation 5  $20  (with free Sun oddball keyboard)
* Sun model 411 external hard drive enclosure, 50pin HD scsi
interface, has ST31200N 1.2gb Seagate hard drive inside.  $10
(I believe all of the systems above can run Linux without problems)

--- Silicon Graphics, Inc ---
* Indy Workstation $25
* Indy Workstation $25
* Indy Workstation $25
* Indy Workstation $25
* Two SGI serial mice, two SGI keyboards (normal PC layout), one
Indycam - free to the first people to buy Indys.
(The Indys can run Linux, but I don't believe they can run X)

--- Workstation monitors ---
* SGI labeled grey 17" Sony Trinitron monitor.  This uses the RGB
interface that the Indys and Suns use.  Very nice CRT, Trinitrons
rule.  Matches the Indys.  $15
* Unmarked beige 17" Sony Trinitron monitor.  This uses the RGB
interface that the Indys and Suns use.  See above about ruling.
Neutral in color, matches the Suns.  $15

--- SCSI ---
* Buslogic BT-958 SCSI-3 internal PCI adapter.  Fully supported Linux
back before it was cool to do so, not like those Adaptec a-holes.
SCSI-3 and SCSI-2 internal jacks, 68-pin external.  $5

FREE STUFF BELOW

--- Optical Drives ---
* Acer 50x CDROM
* Sony CRX140E CDR/RW
* Sony CDU701 CDROM
* Toshiba TXM3501E1 EXTERNAL SCSI CDROM.  Uses cartridges, Centronics interface.

--- Modems ---
* Actiontec 56k PCI Call Waiting modem (Linux fully supported, not a winmodem)
* US Robotics 128k ISDN modem - also does 56k - EXTERNAL, serial
interface.  Comes with all cables and power supply.  Really slick
modem, fully works under Linux, as it's external and speaks AT.

--- Monitors ---
* ADI 17" PC monitor.  Really nice display.

--- Speakers ---
* Altec Lansing 4:1 speaker system (left, right, 2 satellite, subwoofer).

--- Keyboards ---
* Gateway 2000 standard 104 key US keyboard.  PS/2 interface.  Good condition.
* Microsoft Natural Keyboard.  Split keyboard, hump in the middle.
PS/2.  Worn, but works well.
* Logitech Cordless Freedom Pro - keyboard + mouse, both wireless,
both work, just worn.
* Logitech Cordless Freedom Pro - keyboard + mouse, both wireless,
both work, just worn.

--- Networking ---
* 8-port 10baseT hub (not switch, hub) with power supply
* 3Com EtherLink III 3C509-TPO ISA 10baseT networking card.  Very nice
ISA networking card.
* 3Com EtherLink III 3C509-TPO ISA 10baseT networking card.  Very nice
ISA networking card.
* Motorola Surfboard SB4100 DOCSIS cable modem

--- Graphics ---
* Matrox Mystique PCI graphics adapter
* Cirrus Logic GD5422 ISA graphics adapter.  Great for old systems
where you need a console, but not X.
* ASUS AGP-V7700 GeForce2 GTS AGP card

--- Oddball ---
* CueCat barcode reader, apparently has been hacked to work under Linux.

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a