The dominant OS on these lightweights is Linux!

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 19:55:39 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Charles Steinkuehler
<charles at steinkuehler.net> wrote:
>  Note that these numbers are not totally (or perhaps even remotely)
>  accurate...folks using bsd are probably doing so because they don't want
>  to deal with the licensing issues of linux (ie: kind of why Microsoft
>  pilfered the BSD network stack, *NOT* the linux one...plus at the time
>  the BSD stack still kicked linux's butt in networking :), so there's
>  likely a fair amount of embedded BSD work going on that never sees the
>  light of day.

A lot of BSD work happens on the BSD mailing lists.  NetBSD has quite
a few embedded platforms in their support lists.  Speaking of embedded
and portable systems, my buddy has started running JLime Linux on an
HP palmtop to do WarDriving as a modernized upgrade from WinCE.  Now
is as good a time as any to link to our UNIX/tech/security/programming
blog: http://www.h-i-r.net/2008/04/jlime-linux-wifi-scanning-new-userland.html
 If anyone was around "the scene" much back in the day you may have
heard of HiR and our series of e-zines in the late-90s... I
ll try not to date myself much more toady, what with setting up a
dial-up router and writing for an e-zine a decade ago and all. Maybe I
shouldn't mention the Amigas in the basement.  ;)

Jon.