Asus EEE PC

Don Ellis don.ellis at alumni.rice.edu
Fri Apr 25 23:26:41 CDT 2008

I got a MacBook (not Pro) in August 2006, and I've been extremely
pleased with it. VMWare has been great for setting up several VMs (I
use Parallels, too).

Down sides: It's a good idea to run VMs on a separate drive to
minimize thrashing -- extremely easy to add an external firewire
drive on any recent Mac, and larger drive is much cheaper. Also good
to have a drive case with a fan. Some innovative designs are proud of
leaving the fan off, but I'm not impressed.

Also, the later models, with Core 2 Duo processors, allow a total of
3 Gig RAM. My 2 Gig gets a little crowded, especially when I run X
servers on the guest systems. Running guests without X servers
reduces RAM usage considerably. I also have to quit some of the other
apps I run. I understand Leopard has better memory management, so it
might be less crowded than Tiger.

I got a laptop since I only have budget for one system and I need
something I can carry around. This one has been wonderful, and has
met or exceeded all expectations.

--Don Ellis