Asus EEE PC

Bradley Hook bhook at kssb.net
Fri Apr 25 16:59:33 CDT 2008

I'd recommend NOT using a MacBook. I've been using a MacBook for over a
year now, and the hardware quirks that show up in Linux are extremely
annoying (i.e., random video buffer corruption). In fact, I am planning
on "upgrading" to the new EEE which is due out soon, with 20GB of SSD
storage and a slightly larger screen. The EEE does have an external VGA
port, which I intend to connect to the 21 inch monitor on my desk for
stationary use. I've found that 90% of my heavy lifting (cpu-wise) is
now done on remote machines anyway, so the light and compact EEE is
looking like a very nice option for me.

Regarding the proprietary OS version running on the EEE, several people
have gotten Ubuntu to run on it. Some of the features have been broken
at various points, such as power control and wifi, but ASUS has been
working to release as much code as they can. Keep in mind that ASUS is
bound by contracts with the component manufacturers. Like with the
Openmoko situation, there are certain things that the hardware vendors
cannot open source by law (stupid U.S. laws). The nice thing is that
ASUS has made an effort to provide as much as they can. The power
control stuff has been released, and I hear there are hacks to get the
rest of the hardware fully functional without too much effort.

~Bradley

--
~Bradley Hook
Education Systems Administrator

Confidentiality Statement:
This message and accompanying documents are covered by the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, and contain information
intended for the specified individual(s) only.  This information is
confidential unless explicitly indicated otherwise.  If you are not the
intended recipient or an authorized agent responsible for delivering it
to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this document in error and that any review, dissemination,
copying, or the taking of any action based on the contents of this
information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by E-mail,
and delete the original message.