A question on the "read only" kernel details.

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 07:09:22 CDT 2008

In a long past architecture the "OS" was in hardware based literal ROM.

And a further question came up that shows my ignorance of real applied usages.
The full experiment is in direct result of my NOT knowing in advance
how to make this work.And wanting to have it for daily use if it does.
Since it has become trivial to run Ramdisk Distros  I am planning on
an experiment.
Recently I noticed several USB cards have one or more ports facing
towards the INSIDE of the case. The logical to me use will be loading
some bootable from USB drive version onto a properly sized flash
drive. So far it looks like a "so what" trivial re-inventing trip.
This is more my asking for direction in both WHICH distro is suited to
do this with and some help in directions for making it do what is
needed for this.
The devil for me is in the details of altering that installed distro
so it can use a drive not part of the same one it lives on. YES this
appears to be a tangent or even restatement of the post RE: OS and
Data isolation. This is a case detached from that for a different
reason. Flash memories of some cheaper design have limited write
cycles.
Having the OS on a flash drive that only gets written to when the OS
itself is changed as in moving from a 5.x up to 7.06 type change. So
the flash will not be "worn out"

--
Oren Beck

816.729.3645