video cards

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 17:25:14 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

>  Torvalds is not the only copyright holder, and could do nothing to grant
>  nVidia permission beyond the GPL 2 at this point. I see no reason his
>  testimony would be needed in court. Did he appear for the D-link lawsuit in
>  which the GPL was upheld? From reading the proceedings, it seems to me to
>  have been specifically copyright on the Linux kernel that was addressed.

I'm not a lawyer, I just watch a lot of Law & Order.  Bear that in mind.

I'd imagine that the first person that nVidia would call to their
defense in a civil trial would be Linus Torvalds, followed immediately
by Richard Stallman.  I'd imagine that a sane judge would weigh their
opinions far above anyone else you could mention in regards to this
issue.

D-link was a TOTALLY separate issue.  It was a flagrant violation, and
there were no supporters among the Linux copyright holders for what
they did (or if there were, they were nutjobs and can safely be
ignored).  There was no controversy about whether or not the copyright
holders felt that there was infringement.  In fact, the suit was
brought up on behalf of them (as it must be, given that it's a civil
matter).

Please use more relevant examples.

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a