video cards

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Thu Apr 3 17:15:24 CDT 2008

On Thursday 03 April 2008, Jeffrey Watts wrote:
> Copyright holders have the ability to grant permission to use their IP
> in ways different from their copyright.  You could argue that Greg
> could try and sue nVidia for its infringement, but don't you think
> that it is an absurd effort and unlikely to succeed given that
> Torvalds wouldn't be party to it?  I'm certainly no IP lawyer, but I'd
> think that a court would have a hard time determining injury without a
> claim of one by Mr Torvalds.

Torvalds is not the only copyright holder, and could do nothing to grant
nVidia permission beyond the GPL 2 at this point. I see no reason his
testimony would be needed in court. Did he appear for the D-link lawsuit in
which the GPL was upheld? From reading the proceedings, it seems to me to
have been specifically copyright on the Linux kernel that was addressed.