Request for Comments: Keeping the OS and Data on phsyically seperated drives

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 16:14:26 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 2:56 PM, David Nicol <davidnicol at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Oren Beck <orenbeck at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  I'd like to think KCLUG  could do better..
>
>  Oren, I'm getting tired of all of these little proposals.  KCLUG
>  is a lot of things to a lot of people, but it is not, and I realize I
>  am taking on a tone I don't like to see, a linux distribution and
>  promotion company with resources to allocate to product
>  concepts.
>
>  Why don't you take the time to research and implement one or
>  two of the ideas you have?  This applies to the "make it didn't
>  happen" multi-session backup liveCD you've been talking about for
>  years as much as your new HA proposals.
>
>  I would like to see a change in tone from "Here's yet another
>  daydream I just had that I would like to share" to "While I was
>  working on project P, which I have started, I got stuck on not
>  being able to framulate the frizblishizbit with full frastulation --
>  how do I enable full frastulation in a partially framulated frizblishizbit?"
>
>  Then, the helpful and experienced framulators of frizblishizbits will
>  cheerfully de-lurk and share their stories, and everyone is happy.
>
>  Can you do that for us?
>
>  I'd like to think that Oren Beck can do better.
>

>  --
>  bringing useful insights from Computer Science to the larger world

Ok sir- your well meaning Comments re: daydreams have dictated I unbag
a cat that was scripted for later release.

Craig, who is on staff at the campground recently did a variant of my
proposal. And he did it all unassisted. He moved his older Ubuntu
drive to secondary  ,installed a new drive. . Then installed Ubuntu
7.10 on the new master drive. And found his old "user data" on the old
drive was all seamlessly accessible. Thus showing that a contemporary
Linux distro can seamlessly functrion with the "user data" on a second
drive. So what? is the next snarky potential jeer someone could toss
at me The pre-empting comment is - Who here can detail their take on
the optimal partitioning and file layout to do this on a second disk
not needfully having an OS on it.

Oh yes, in comment back on the potentially Ad Hominem zone of
Daydreams and project requests as opposed to what I did reports..
Considering the past detours this list has taken from Linux and Open
Source - The majority of my posts/comments were and are "on topic" Or
otherwise still in the general good direciton.  And this one seems to
have sparked a few REALLY good constructive comments on the Linux file
partition naming convention details. The context of someone explaining
the how and why of file conventions does more to educate us all BY
that context of question raised and answered. Bluntly put- the joy of
trying to refute a statement can also produce sincere value in
education of others.

I made a malaprop in the use of /usr as example that I should have
said "named_user_data_folders" for descriptive label. I appreciate a
constructive correction!  Look at the rest like this- KCLUG has a
literally incredible pool of talents-yourself included David. I may
have tripped some loose hair of yours by perceives whatever. I will by
default accept your comments as constructive and ask only  the same in
return. No harm no foul in either direction ok?

The larger reason for some of my comments is NOT an ego wanting "my"
name on a damned thing. It's all about hoping some others in this
group can show us their chops and all of us LEARN from it! I may be
guilty as many of us are for other foibles and diversions both at the
meetings and on list,  Yet I must categorically state the fact of my
intent as being an unselfish "let's see what WE can do. Hell- some of
us could have arguably been zillionaires had we Gone Evil eh? And i do
mean SEVERAL group members! The closing back on topic comment is?

A  Linux users  group should do things to foster the daily USE of Linux.

--
Oren Beck

816.729.3645