Does Linux have a CMOS Setup Application, possibly from a LiveCD?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 09:47:29 CDT 2008

--- Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> On Monday 31 March 2008, Leo Mauler wrote:
> > --- Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> > > It would be stupid for the motherboard
> > > to default to lacking USB keyboard support,
> > > so it might be worthwhile to use the CMOS
> > > reset jumper.
> >
> > The motherboard does, however, default to the
> > crappy onboard video (with an astounding 4MB
> > of video ram) when the CMOS is reset, and must
> > be told manually that another form of video
> > is present.
>
> Yes, but once the BIOS has USB support enabled,
> you can use the USB keyboard to go in there and
> change other settings. ;)

True, but in the event that the computer engineers
assumed a PS/2 keyboard was the default for CMOS, I'd
much rather figure out how to save and restore the
CMOS first, rather than reset the CMOS and be left
with a system which can't be used to show off
Beryl/Compiz on a widescreen DLP projection screen
TV...  :(

The AGP card is a nVidia Geforce 6200 with 128MB VRAM,
which through the use of those evil proprietary
drivers allows nifty Beryl/Compiz demonstrations.  I
have *never* heard of someone getting Beryl/Compiz to
work on a nVidia RIVA TNT2 video chipset with 4MB
VRAM, otherwise known as the "onboard video".

Ubuntu has even gone beyond the TV manual and doesn't
limit itself to the 1024x768 stated in the TV manual
as "maximum PC graphics resolution", but rather
expands itself out to a very nice widescreen 1280x720
(Windows XP, however, does limit itself to 1024x768 on
this TV).  I really don't want to lose that over the
next few months while I can't afford to just buy a
completely-functional PC.