Does Linux have a CMOS Setup Application, possibly from a LiveCD?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 09:35:28 CDT 2008

--- Jon Pruente <jdpruente at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Leo Mauler
> <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I've got a PIII-1Ghz system which I'd like to
> > use until it dies.  Right now it works fine,
> > except that
>
> What mobo/system is it?  There stands a decent
> chance that a LUGger might have a spare board
> you could beg.

It's a Gateway system with a proprietary power supply
and a weirdo case.  I don't know if other motherboards
will fit in this case.

> I know I've got several P3 systems that have been
> collecting dust.

Well I wouldn't mind taking one off your hands, though
the main reason I'm still trying to get this one
working is that I have no disposable income
whatsoever.

> Also, in normal troubleshooting methods: have you
> tried a spare keyboard?

Three PS/2 motherboards so far.  All of them work
great on the nearly-new Intel 2.4Ghz system in the
basement, just not for more than a minute on the PIII
and not at all in CMOS Setup.

Right now I can get an OS to install and use the AGP
video card because the system was previously working
for awhile using the AGP card.  It was working as a
part of a switchbox, I've tried plugging it back into
the switch box and I'm getting the new error still.

I have one of those USB adapter thingys which lets you
plug a PS/2 mouse and keyboard into a USB port.  The
PS/2 mouse doesn't work at all, either in the regular
PS/2 port or in the USB thingy, but a PS/2 keyboard
works in the USB thingy, and I have a USB mouse which
works fine as well.

Since I have a keyboard and mouse which work for a
conventional OS (just not the BIOS), I can install
Ubuntu on the system, just without the ability to
tweak the CMOS.