CenturyTel -- anti Linux

djgoku djgoku at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 11:42:57 CDT 2005

On 6/28/05, Zscoundrel <Zscoundrel at kc.rr.com> wrote:
> I actually have had similar problems with Road Runner.  They act as if
> they are forbidden by contractual obligations to support Linux.
>
> I used to have to go through a lot of crap to disconnect my home network
> and connect just the windoze machine to type in one or two commands.
> Once I figured out what the equivalent Linux commands are, I just enter
> those instead.  Once we get past this part of the support script, they
> know the problem is theirs and they fix the problem.

We used to have lots of problems maybe not totally rr's fault. If it
wasn't that the connection just dropped and  or the cable modem needed
to be power cycled, other then that fixed most of our problems. We
also would find out someone in our house was upload and stealing all
the bandwidth =\ or once we even found someone had a virus and was
uploading like crazy it was when we had a lan party with about 15 ppl
at are house. We did have to have a tech come out once, and I was the
only person home, and all I had was my linux box, all I did was
restart the nic process (/etc/init.d/net.eth0 in gentoo) and bam
internet was working. We even had a line cut by Everest... right after
the techs left so we had to wait another couple hours til they fixed
it.