Knoppix question

Brian Kelsay Brian.Kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Thu Dec 30 14:21:15 CST 2004

Knoppix boots w/ a lot of services on by default.  Remember, it's meant for people to try out Linux and see what it can do.  If you just need a LiveCD to test drives, use one of the lighter LiveCDs or build your own.  Look at that frozentech website that has many, many LiveCDs on it.  They each have their place.  You could probably get away with using System Rescue CD LiveCD to test drives.  It is around a 20-30MB download.

Knoppix is also like a Swiss Army knife.  Many uses, but you may never use the corkscrew or the leather punch.

Brian Kelsay

>>> "Brian Densmore" <> 12/30/04 01:41PM >>>

64 MB needed for text only mode Linux!? That is an insane number!
Text only Linux should be able to run in 4MB, or even 1 MB. Or hey
how about in 64KB? Or <shudder> even 16KB?

Nobody will ever need more than 1MB of RAM...

JMHO,
Brian D.