hand powered linux box

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Thu Dec 30 14:19:38 CST 2004

Leo Mauler wrote:

> The "low cost dirt cheap" method would be to charge
> car batteries off a solar or other renewable grid
> ("bicycle power" is inadequate to the task of charging
> car batteries, though it might run a laptop) and use
> them with an inverter to run a laptop's conventional
> AC adapter.

According to one of the charts at http://www.minoura.jp/index-et.html,
I'm putting out about 350W when I ride my trainer in the morning (for
short periods, admittedly).  My laptop's power supply puts out 72W.

> Those with more electronics experience
> might be able to rewire the laptop to use DC power
> directly, but stepping down the car battery to the
> laptop battery power level might require enough
> complexity that just an inverter with the existing AC
> adapter might be more workable.

My laptop takes 16 VDC, and automotive adapters are readily available.
Couldn't you just use one of those?