hand powered linux box

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 30 13:49:05 CST 2004

Seems to me the ideal way to go about arranging a
"renewable energy" computer is to go the laptop route,
since they're already set up to use as little power as
possible.

The "low cost dirt cheap" method would be to charge
car batteries off a solar or other renewable grid
("bicycle power" is inadequate to the task of charging
car batteries, though it might run a laptop) and use
them with an inverter to run a laptop's conventional
AC adapter.  Those with more electronics experience
might be able to rewire the laptop to use DC power
directly, but stepping down the car battery to the
laptop battery power level might require enough
complexity that just an inverter with the existing AC
adapter might be more workable.

http://www.icpsolar.com/ssfamille.php3?id_rubrique=56