Linux PVR

D. Hageman dhageman at dracken.com
Fri Dec 24 02:25:22 CST 2004

I think part of the problem with your experience is that the WinTV GO
cards don't usually use the driver that you specified.  The usually use
either the cx88 driver or the ivtv driver.  In fact, most of the cards
made by hauppauge use the ivtv driver.

Closed captioning is available by the latest ivtv drivers.  The problem is
that the v4l specification was made without taking in account of some of
the hardware that is available today (not to the fault of the original
developers).  v4l2 is a work in progress to address some of these issues,
but still some issues remain.

I have built a PVR using a PVR-350 from hauppauge using mythtv on a Fedora
Core 3 box  that I am quite happy with.  I don't feel like expouding on much
past that at this point unless someone has some more specific questions
(due to the plentiful resources elsewhere one can take advantage of).