Secondary Slave

Brian Kelsay Brian.Kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Fri Dec 10 12:01:45 CST 2004

If a drive is set to SS and no SM is present, then there is no drive to be the second part of the drive controller.  The Master drive in any chain controls the flow of info to the Slave.  When you set a drive to Slave, you basically turn off that feature of any drive and give over control to the Master in the chain.

The reason I don't trust CS is when working on another person's box.  If it is one I set up and it hasn't been messed with, then they will be set correctly and at the right point on the cable.  Sometimes people will plug a drive set on Master, into the Slave plug on the cable rather than take the time to move drives around so the cables reach or get a longer cable.  you may or may not believe some of the goofy stuff I have seen done inside PC cases.

Brian Kelsay

>>> djgoku <> 12/10/04 11:45AM >>>
All hardware is new and in working condition. But for some reason if
no SM present the SS doesn't show up.