the venerable 2.0 kernel series

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Dec 6 11:01:54 CST 2004

On Monday 06 December 2004 09:55 am, Brian Densmore wrote:

> The advantage to using 2.0 kernels is that you can run applications that
> require the 2.0.x series kernel.

For instance, many of the firewall modules, like VOIP, have never been ported
to the later kernels.

> Although the size [of later kernels] is by default much much
> larger, this can be changed to some degree by compiling a custom kernel and
> leaving out all of the code for hardware and features you do not use.

I haven't seen a monolithic kernel in all of the time I've run Linux, starting
pretty early in the RedHat release era (2.1).  Once the kernel went modular,
all of the HOWTO's that started with "first recompile your kernel" were
obsolete, and so were considerations of slimming down by leaving out hardware
support.