the venerable 2.0 kernel series

Frank Wiles frank at wiles.org
Sun Dec 5 11:18:24 CST 2004

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 15:37:30 -0600
David Nicol <davidnicol at gmail.com> wrote:

> what are the advantages of using linux 2.0 kernels?  The series is
> still being updated --
> Are the memory requirements really low?  Is it easier to hack on than
> the later versions?
> Are there hard limits, such as disk size or number of processes or
> ports?

  From what I've seen the 2.0 and 2.2 series are only still being
  maintained to help companies and users that for one reason or another
  can't upgrade.  If I was starting a new project, server, etc I would
  go with the latest and avoid the older kernels.

  Memory requirements are lower, hacking would be about the same, and
  a bunch of limits.

  Unless you're trying to use an application that requires a 2.0 or 2.2
  kernel or you're dealing in the embedded space I can't think of a
  single advantage to using an older kernel.