TV-OUT on laptop causes major damage, fire / shock

Duane Attaway dattawaykclug at dattaway.org
Fri Dec 3 16:01:07 CST 2004

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Brian Densmore wrote:

> Well it depends on the type of capacitor. It would have to be a
> polarized capacitor. I remember when I used to test power supplies for a
> company I worked at. We would buy them for our products, but they needed
> to be tested before being installed in our equipment. Every once in a
> while a PS would have the capacitor in reverse polarity. Quite a show
> when a big capacitor blows. Less frequently the capacitor would take too
> much voltage with the same end result, explosion. why do you say it
> would have to be instantaneous? Although from the description of the
> event it was instantaneous.

I'm pretty sure its going to take a few moments of current to start
melting the plastic like that.  Capacitors release their energy too quick.

I haven't been able to make a capacitor uniformly melt a jacketed wire.
The wires would quickly vaporize at one point, leaving the plastic intact
except for a small hole.  At my last job we used a capacitive discharge
device called a "thumper" to locate bad cable sections.  It would
discharge up to 15 kilovolts from a 15uF capacitor and thump a hole in the
bad section.

Just for kicks long ago, I hooked the thumper up to a 40 watt fluorescent
light one time.  The light appeared to lift off the ground before
exploding into dust.  That thing made a violent self cleaning bug zapper
too.

Oh, did I mention that the wire was dancing?  It was pretty cool...

I believe the seperate video inputs of his television use switching diodes
to select what video is live.  I believe the current shorted the diodes,
so all the inputs stay on.  If I remember right, these boards cost $50,
but only cost $1.00 to fix.  But we have a warranty in this case to keep
us out of trouble.

I love post mortem troubleshooting.  When things go bad, its fun to see
what exactly went wrong and keep it from happening again.  Sounds like
they had a design flaw which they later corrected.  So we may have a happy
ending out of this.