X terminal distributions?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Dec 2 10:13:58 CST 2004

On Thursday 02 December 2004 05:47 am, Duane Attaway wrote:

> I have several old laptops that could live a good life of xterminals.
> Unfortunately, some don't have hard drives, most have memory less than
> 64MB, and one is a 486 with 4MB.  All can use a pcmcia ethernet card.

The problem I've encountered with this idea is that Xwindows itself is pretty
resource intensive, and many of the older systems have video cards that don't
have Linux drivers.  At best, you may get 640x480x16 colors.  You can
off-load most of the work to the server (talk to the Lumensoft guys), but you
still have to get a basic Xwindows setup going.  4M of RAM is going to be a
distinct challange.

If you _do_ succeed, a writeup would be great - maybe we can post it to the
web page!