X terminal distributions?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 08:20:29 CST 2004

--- Duane Attaway <dattawaykclug at dattaway.org> wrote:

> I have several old laptops that could live a good
> life of xterminals.
>
> Unfortunately, some don't have hard drives,

Try these floppy-based Linux distributions:

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/linux/linux-distrib-small.html

> most have memory less than 64MB, and one is a 486
> with 4MB.  All can use a pcmcia ethernet card.
>
> What do most people do with these?  Are there
> distributions catering to these or do I have to
> build them myself?

Slackware and Debian both install in very little RAM
and have a text mode installer.  Slackware 7.1 even
allows you to install most of the console Linux
packages using floppies.

Or if you aren't going to be doing anything with them
for a few months, you could always run Gentoo's
installer now and start using them in February.  :)

> I'd hate throw them away.  They use so little power,
> have well designed hardware, and look nice.

I forget the link, but someone has been using old
386/486 laptops as LCD "digital photo frames".