Multiple desktop clients per kdm server

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Dec 1 09:48:50 CST 2004

Works as expected. vt7 and vt8 are used and Alt-F7 and Alt-F8
work to get to the screens (Ctrl-Alt-Fn from inside X).

> > On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 11:13:02AM -0600, Brian Densmore wrote:
> > > I'm running kdm and would like to know if anyone is
> > > running more than one desktop simultaneously?
> >
> > Check the /etc/kdm/kde3/kdm/Xservers file.  I have a line that says:
On my system it is /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers and there are commented out
lines like the one below. Although they have "reserve" in between the local..
and the X path. I removed that and restarted the system. I know I didn't
need to do that. The commented out lines used progressive tty numbers
so I left it alone. Hopefully it was done that way for a purpose. I
was too chicken to change it. Maybe over the weekend when (theoretically)
I have more time to fix anything I break.

So I now have entries like this in my Xserver file:
:0 local at tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp vt7
:1 local at tty2 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp :1 vt8
#:2 local at tty3 reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp :2 vt9
#:3 local at tty4 reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp :3 vt10
#:4 local at tty5 reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp :4 vt11
#:5 local at tty6 reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp :5 vt12

You'll note the there is a :1 on the second line. This is necessary.
It won't work without it.

> > :0 local at tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp vt7
> >
> > My guess is that you would add a line just below it that says:
> >
> > :1 local at tty2 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp vt8

So Thanks again Jason, I didn't find that in any of the man pages
I looked at. Just curious did you find it in a man page, or by browsing?

Brian