C Shell Scripting in RH 7.1

Mike Coleman mkc at mathdogs.com
Sat Oct 20 14:56:18 CDT 2001

"Ray Hanes" <high_tech_hanes at yahoo.com> writes:
> Just to test out what was happening I created a simple C script that just set
> ownership and permissions on a file. That did not work. So I changed the
> script to bash and ran it and it ran just fine. My problem is I have way to
> many scripts to just convert them all to bash.

The obvious dumb question here is: Is csh even present on your system?  What
happens when you say 'type csh' or 'which csh'?  Or maybe you have tcsh
installed instead?  Can you send post one of these scripts that doesn't work?

Also, if you haven't already seen Tom Christiansen's essay "Csh Programming
Considered Harmful", you should take a look.

        http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/

Many Unix programmers (including me) consider csh unsuitable for scripting
purposes.

--Mike

--
Our local university offers a three hour course, College Algebra, which covers
"elementary algebra, solution of equations, functions, exponential and