ADSL Alternative...

Chris Midkiff cmidkiff at ladybaltimore.com
Fri Oct 15 19:08:01 CDT 1999

Hello all, new member of the mailing list here... Introductions all
around.

I've been reading the traffic back and forth on ADSL connections, and I
was wondering if there were any Linux users who had looked into cable
modems?

I am using roadrunner cable service from Time Warner, and I'm pretty
happy with it.  It gives an address via DHCP, and that's pretty much all
you need to know to set it up.  Took me about 5 min to set up under
RH6.0.  I have not had the chance to play with ADSL yet...  What kind of
bandwidth do you really get?  I'm getting a fairly constant 512k, with
spikes well over a meg during large downloads.  The price is right, too
($100 setup, $39/month if you have cable, $49/month if you don't -
includes cable modem and ISP as well.)  Excellent Quake3 Beta
performance _g_

The only real downside is that you can't run a web server / ftp server
et al.  The have some type of firewall keeping the public from getting
into their IP range.  (I haven't tried to force my way through yet, any
Ideas?)  They do provide 5mb of web space

Forgive me if this has been covered already, as I said, I'm new to the
list :-)

Anyone from this organization going to the mlug open source expo in
Columbia?

cmidkiff at kc.rr.com
cmidkiff at ladybaltimore.com