recursive algorithms

Sam Clippinger samc at silence.org
Fri Oct 1 03:10:13 CDT 1999

When last we left our heroes, cruller had just said:
> Do you guys have a fave book (or better web based info) on algorithms
> and more specifically recursive algorithms
>
> I've heard mention of a few books that contain algorithms for almost any
> logical problem you could face.'

"Numerical Recipes in C: The Art of Scientific Computing" by William H. Press,
Saul A. Teukolsky, William T. Vetterling and Brian P. Flannery is pretty good,
though all of its examples are in C (duh), not pseudocode, if that matters.

However, "The Art of Computer Programming" by Donald Knuth is the best, IMHO.
Note that he has completed three of five planned volumes of this book.  Volume
1 is "Fundamental Algorithms", volume 2 is "Sorting and Searching" and volume
3 is "Seminumerical Algorithms".  These books are very well written, read
easily and contain 100% pseudocode.

Obviously the value of these books depend on what exactly you're looking for,
but if you're just looking for a general discussion of recursive algorithms,
I think volume 1 of "The Art of Computer Programming" is probably you best
bet.

                                -sam

 Sam Clippinger               For PGP public key (KEY ID: 431C5529), see
samc at silence.org          http://www.micro.com/~samc or http://pgp.ai.mit.edu
=============randomly selected quote===no relevance to the above=============
"We are still under the sway of the destructive and vain belief that man
is the pinnacle of creation, and not just a part of it, and that,
therefore, everything is permitted ... We are incapable of understanding
that the only genuine backbone of our actions - if they are to be moral -
is responsibility.  Responsibility to something higher than my family, my
country, my firm, my success.  Responsibility to the order of Being,
where all our actions are indelibly recorded and where, and only where,
they will be properly judged."
                         - Vaclav Havel, in a speech to the U.S. Congress