Registrar Contact Info

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun May 21 21:14:51 CDT 2023

I've had mine published probably since the 90's - since registration got
down out of the three figure range and open to everyday people.

Sure, I get lots of spam, but I can't see any connection between the
contact info and any particular spam.  When my registrars have stupidly
assumed that they can just default to not publishing it, I haven't seen
any drop off.

Remember when we started out with modems and dial-up internet?  People
who had their name and address published in the Phone Book would freak
out because someone posted their real name (and phone number!) on the
internet.  I think it's a lot like that.

I know there are circumstances where it can be dangerous to publish
contact info for someone responsible for a web site.  I still think that
it's irresponsible to let just anybody throw up a web site with no
direct contact info available without jumping through hoops.  What do
you have to hide?

I think there are links on the web page for an address that should
forward to more than one person who could respond to a problem or
question, so it probably doesn't provide any advantage for KCLUG.

--
Jonathan