2022-04-19 KCLUG Meeting, Parking, and Room Reservations

Billy Croan Billy at croan.org
Mon Apr 18 11:16:21 CDT 2022

Greetings Everyone,

I've gotten various questions from individuals and I wanted to answer them
to all in one message.

KCLUG is a member-supported "dis-"organization.  So if you show up for a
meeting, there is a meeting.  If you don't, there isn't.  Nobody is paid or
obligated to run the group, so if there's something you think someone
should be doing, "patches welcome", in the spirit of libre software :-)

Anyone is free to book the room.  I have no unique authority or title to
enable me to do so.  You don't have to live in KCMO, or even MO.  I just
asked Nicole Brewer (at the library) nicely last month and said I wanted to
try to start the group up again and she was happy to oblige!  She said
she'd like to stop by sometime, so let's all be welcoming!

I decided to try to re-activate the group again last month, so it's
happening.  I'll work on the website tomorrow at the meeting, at least the
list-email-going-to-spam problem.  This will be a good opportunity to show
off opendkim and email signing.  And I'm signing others up with shell
accounts on the server to help with other website updates.

This is a community project.  KCLUG is, what all of you, choose to make of
it.  It's probably long overdue to replace the static html website with
some CMS, so I'm accepting volunteers to take that on, and it's a great
opportunity to resume-build.  I can not guarantee I will be able or willing
to do any specific task myself, on any schedule, but I'll try to make it to
the meetings more going forward.

"Breakfast" on the website, refers to the group heading to a restaurant
after the meeting.  It's always been sort of an 'afterparty thing' that
folks talk about as they're packing up in the library and pick a spot.  The
Denny's that we went to before covid burned down again last year I think,
and they didn't rebuild this time.  I'll miss the free life entertainment
that location provided....

We have the 1st Wed and 3rd Tue through June, reserved for room 312 in the
downtown public library.  (The original corner room we had).  As we go
forward if people always attend, we will get more reservations on the
calendar.

Each of us can demonstrate a technology or program to the group each week,
so email the list with what you want to share and when to drum up
attendance.

The KCLUG meeting at the downtown location is a 'Library Sponsored Event'.
Not that they're literally paying us, but they're providing the room for
free.  So if you park in the library's garage (to the west of the library
itself) tell the front desk it's a library event when you come in, and let
the librarian validate your parking ticket, not using the self-service
validator on the south counter which is only good to discount 120 minutes
to $3. --  If the librarian validates it, then it's free through the end of
the night.

The garage is more secure than the street, right next to the library, free
now, and never full.  Unless you drive a chevy bolt apparently.  There's a
big no-bolt or no-volt sign at the gate.  I guess someone caught fire
before that recall!  They have a DC fast charger in the garage, but no L2
charger

I have a few more 3d prints to share tomorrow, and I'll demonstrate setting
up DKIM on linux tomorrow, because that seems to be something affecting our
mailing list.  (Hope this message finds you all well)

-Billy Croan