DOS prevention

Nathan Cerny ncerny at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 16:33:09 CDT 2013

Obviously you want to address the attacks, but you could also look into a
more efficient web server.

Apache is great for the feature-list, but I've had much better performance
using nginx.
Granted, my experience is much smaller scale - 5-10 users on a highly
intensive website.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nginx

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 4:22 PM, Billy Crook <billycrook at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's easy to /say/ that any modern server should be able to handle a
> few thousand GET requests.
>
> The reality is that a single URI may affect dozens of scripts that you
> didn't write, which might hit some database as many times, and you
> can't change them for business or political reasons; even if you are
> entirely qualified to fix bugs and do performance tuning.
>
> When an aggressor, or just some well-intentioned runaway script harps
> on one of these URIs, your options as an admin are limited.
>
> You can throw more hardware at it, put (and maintain) some caching
> proxy infront of it; or you can throttle the aggressor   Fail2ban will
> help you do the latter, and much more.  For instance, it becomes
> realistic to run ssh on its official port (gasp!) if you use fail2ban
> to cut down on riff raff.
>
> As fail2ban starts blocking the sources of the floods, look over the
> list of addresses, and see if you can identify a business partner.  If
> you can get them to fix their script, all the better.
>
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 3:45 PM, J. Wade Michaelis
> <jwade at userfriendlytech.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Mark Hutchings <
> mark.hutchings at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> You sure it was just a http attack?   Several hundred requests in a few
> >> minutes shouldnt really put it on it's knees, unless the server is a VPS
> >> with low memory/CPU usage limits, or the server itself is low on
> resources.
> >

> > I've gone over my access logs again, and here are the particulars on the
> two
> > attacks that caused the server to hang:
> >
> > On March 6th, between 4:29:11 and 4:31:40, there were 1453 requests from
> > single IP, and all were 'GET' requests for a single page (one that does
> > exist).
> >
> > On March 14th, between 15:15:19 and 15:16:29, there were 575 requests
> from
> > the one IP address.  These were all different GET requests, nearly all
> > resulting in 404 errors.  Some appear to be WordPress URLs.  (The
> website on
> > my server is a Magento commerce site.)
> >
> > Here are some other example requests from the attack:
> >
> > GET /?_SERVER[DOCUMENT_ROOT]=http://google.com/humans.txt? HTTP/1.1
> > GET /?npage=1&content_dir=http://google.com/humans.txt%00&cmd=lsHTTP/1.1
> > GET
> > /A-Blog/navigation/links.php?navigation_start=
> http://google.com/humans.txt?
> > HTTP/1.1
> > GET
> > /Administration/Includes/deleteUser.php?path_prefix=
> http://google.com/humans.txt
> > HTTP/1.1
> > GET
> > /BetaBlockModules//Module/Module.php?path_prefix=
> http://google.com/humans.txt
> > HTTP/1.1
> > GET /admin/header.php?loc=http://google.com/humans.txt HTTP/1.1
> >
> > I don't recognize most of these, but the pattern indicates to me that
> [...]

Nathan Cerny

"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my
telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone."
--Bjarne Stroustrup, Danish computer scientist