DOS prevention

Mark Hutchings mark.hutchings at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 14:58:18 CDT 2013

You sure it was just a http attack? Several hundred requests in a few
minutes shouldnt really put it on it's knees, unless the server is a VPS
with low memory/CPU usage limits, or the server itself is low on resources.

If you're using Apache, you should check into several modules to lock
down your server.  In this case, check out mod_evasive.

Server firewall wise:
I also suggest fail2ban and also CSF
http://configserver.com/cp/csf.html

Also you could try CloudFlare, but I've seen that cause a lot of
problems at the same time.  If you have a low traffic web site, I would
suggest it.  But if you ever expect a surge of traffic, CloudFlare could
cause you headaches.

Another idea is that if you're server is at a datacenter, they can help
on their end also.