DOS prevention

Andrew Beals andrew.beals at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 14:27:14 CDT 2013

If they're coming from just the single IP, then black-hole'ing their IP is
easier.  If the address they're coming from is 128.115.1.1, then simply
paste this at a shell prompt and give it your password when sudo asks for
it:

sudo route add 128.115.1.1 gw 127.0.0.1 lo

This will cause all packets destined to go back to them to get dropped on
the floor and should be sufficient.  You'd really prefer to do this (or
just add them to the naughty list which is something that I believe the SW
can do, even with ancient builds of their SW) on your SonicWall box, but
you can get away with doing it on your server.

Adding an IP tables (again, if you can't convince your SW to just drop
packets from them) is more efficient, of course, but it's hairier to set up.