Setting Gnome resolution from the command line

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Fri Jul 19 17:50:39 CDT 2013

Speaking of Gnome, does anyone know how to change the Gnome resolution
from the command line?  I don't mean using xrandr or fbset (I've tried
and those don't work...this is a BeagleBone with Angstrom).

When the HDMI interface is working, I can run the display settings GUI
and pick from a few resolutions auto-detected via EDID.  What I need is
a way to ask Gnome from the command line what display options are
available and select one when the system pics a resolution the HDMI
monitor doesn't like (so there's no visible GUI).

I can't pull up anything on setting Gnome desktop settings via the
command line on Google, but maybe I'm not asking the right way.

Anyone know Gnome well enough to point me towards where to start looking?

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net