TCP experts - improving dial-up performance?

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 15:22:18 CDT 2011

> Am I reading the situation correctly?  Is there any way I encourage the other
> end of the link to throttle back?

Good FTP software, like the kind that is stock in Tru64, does
rate-limiting. But not all ftp software does.
If you've got a Linode (or equivalent) you could transfer to there,
then transfer home, with control over the remote end.
Also if your ISP has a cache, you could use it for rate smoothing, as
the negotiation cycle will go quicker against a nearer
remote endpoint.