[mwbush at gmail.com: Re: Help for a blind friend]

Ed Allen era at jimani.com
Thu Jun 23 11:16:21 CDT 2011

I am getting in to this a little late but I hope to encourage
you to have your friend try out...

	http://vinuxproject.org/

Which runs on a live CD so your friend could try it without changing the current
setup till she determines if it is acceptable.

Also I found http://the-brannons.com/edbrowse/philosophy.html which describes a project
by a blind programmer.  I do not know if 'edbrowse' comes on the live CD or not.

I talked off-mike with our blind interviewer/member and recall that he said he preferred
Linux because the GUI was only run when he needed it.  Most times he could do everything he
wanted at the command line.

Unix, and now Linux, were designed to be able to tie programs together to accomplish things
their author never dreamed they could be used for.  That is why we get things like 'dradio'...

	DRadio is a Danmarks Radio netradio, podcast, and TV player. It is
	a terminal based frontend to MPlayer that collects the available
	channels/podcasts for convenient browsing.

	http://www.thrysoee.dk/dradio/

Such combinations abound in the non-Windows world.