proveit.com

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 13:28:23 CDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Jonathan Hutchins
<hutchins at tarcanfel.org>wrote:

> I was recently referred to a skills testing site, proveit.com.  They have
> number of Linux skills tests available - all of which can only be taken in
> Internet Explorer running on Windows.
>
> It occurs to me that yes, there is a world where all the admins run Windows
> and manage their Linux systems and servers with putty, or more likely vnc
> or
> a web interface.  I'm sure this is more common in the "enterprise" Linux
> world than in my experience.

cygwin's rxvt now comes with usable defaults OOTB; ssh in a cygwin rxvt is
rapidly replacing Putty for me at least

> Besides the tests working only in Windows, they say that they were tested
> in
> Firefox 2.0 and IE6 - the latter being a notorious security hole that
> Microsoft has struggled in vain to get rid of.
>
> Anyway, just so you know, anybody citing proveit.com testing as evidence
> of
> Linux knowledge is pulling your leg.

 were the tests bogus? did they cover trivia only applicable to obsolete
versions of RHEL? You'll need a better accusation than "their website didn't
work with my rig" to invalidate them as a human resources criterion in my
opinion.