TCP experts - improving dial-up performance?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Jul 5 16:38:14 CDT 2011

On Saturday 25 June 2011 10:09:28 am Shawn C. Powell wrote:

> Yeah, so I have dial-up.  Stop laughing. :)
>
> I would like some advice on making the best of my slow dial-up connection.

For file transfers, you might be able to use kermit or zmodem.  They have
packet retransmission capabilities designed to work over links with losses
and lag.  iirc Kermit was designed to be used over satellite links where lag
was the bigger problem and zmodem was developed to cope with dropped packets.

Getting the remote system to speak one of those protocols will be the
challenge.