Sprint 3G/4G Overdrive Mobile Hotspot

Jim Herrmann kclug at itdepends.com
Thu Jan 20 20:24:49 CST 2011

I got my Overdrive hotspot tonight, and I promised to write up an
impression.  So far, it's so so.  I had to charge it all the way before it
would come on.  That's OK as it charged pretty fast.  I followed the start
up instructions and got the network and password changed, the software
updated, no problem.  The web interface is pretty nice.

When it first came up it would only connect to 3G.  I had to get into the
setup and tell it to connect to 4G Only, and then it found a 4G connection.
I started doing bandwith tests at speedtest.net using the KCMO server.  The
first one was pretty miserable, at 0.73MB up and 0.48MB down.  That was
lame.  I put the modem in the window a little further, and I got it to do
1.3M up and 0.92 down.  I plugged it in and the speed jumped to 3.5M down
but 0.6M up.  So, it really helps to have it plugged in and in the window.
I'll let you know more once I try it out in some various locations.

OBTW, I tested my RR connection to compare and I got 4.5M down, but only
0.29M up.  So the 4G is better on the upload.

That's all for now,
Jim