Buying a New Laptop

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 15:20:56 CDT 2011

I think he's referring to the aesthetics and quality of materials.  Things
have gotten better recently, but the majority of non-Apple laptops out there
are made of cheap plastic and have terrible keyboards and trackpads - the
only well made ones I've seen were similar in price to Apple's stuff.

When it comes to trackpads, I've yet to use a non-Apple trackpad that wasn't
crap.  I either use a trackpoint (like on my Dell) or plug in a wireless
mouse.

Of course, this goes back to what folks care about in a laptop.  Some folks
want the best stats for the least money, and others care more about the
aesthetics.  I usually fall in the latter category, but I suppose part of
that is because I'm always somewhere where I have multiple computers, and I
usually run my virtual hosts on my server.

I agree with you on Intel chips though.

Jeffrey.