Buying a New Laptop

Jim Herrmann kclug at itdepends.com
Thu Apr 21 12:12:29 CDT 2011

Anyone have bad things to say about ASUS?  They seem to have machines with
good power for a good price.  I wonder how the build quality is?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0355914

The HP look good, but they have ATI cards.  I get from reading that ATI is
not very Linux friendly.  It works, for the most part, but can be problems.
I'm sure someone has an opinion on ATI vs. Nvidia vs. Intel HD.  I get the
impression that Nvidia is the way to go with Linux if you can, but that the
Intel just works, but how is it's 3D acceleration.  I would use that for
Compiz and KDEnlive previewing.

Thanks,
Jim