Buying a New Laptop

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 13:51:54 CDT 2011

I'd be careful buying a Dell. They use (or used) a proprietary 3 wire adapter (three wires from the transformer to the laptop, not the standard three wire grounded plug). The third wire is connected at one end to a chip which ids the cord as genuine Dell. Should that wire or the chip fail you'll have no way to recharge the laptop battery, and other problems.

Probably not an issue while the laptop is in warranty.

Not saying you shouldn't buy Dell, but it is something to be aware of.
It is an ongoing issue with Dell.

Jack