Synology & Fsck

Sean Crago cragos at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 12:02:15 CDT 2010

If the list is coming back to life, then I've got a weird but hopefully
simple problem for you:

I've got a Synology DiskStation DS209 NAS that's giving me erroneous free
space readings, or erroneous du output. On installation, it dedicated 2.4GB
to its root partition /dev/md0 and according to du -cx / is using less than
587192K of that space. Unfortunately, however, df says it's full.

bash-3.2# df -k
rootfs                 2451064   2425764         0 100% /
/dev/root              2451064   2425764         0 100% /

bash-3.2# mount
/dev/md0 on / type ext3 (rw,data=ordered)

As a result, any number of apps from the stock firmware are prevented from
running and those that do hobble along spam the logs to the point of
uselessness w/complaints. The catch? I can't find a safe way to fsck it.
Conventional shutdown commands to force a fsck aren't an option/are just
plain missing on the box. Using tune2fs to set the check
interval ridiculously low to force a check upon reboot similarly didn't
work. Unfortunately, the ARM-based architecture also doesn't support booting
to a removable USB device, knocking out the only other safe way I can think
of to fsck it. Pop new firmware on to start from scratch? I'd love to at
this point, but the firmware installation process requires 1024 megs of free
disk space.

Thoughts?  Any ideas on how to safely get it cleaned up and accurately
reporting its free space while the root filesystem is live and booted?

-Sean