Interesting challenge (for me at least)

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 20:28:26 CST 2010

Is there a reason that the easy/simple solution of NOT integrating this
specific samba instance with AD wouldn't work?

Just add unix users by the same name of the AD users, smbpasswd -a them, and
have the users choose a new pwd for their samba access.

On mount, the client windows box will try auth w/ AD creds, fail, and ask
for a un/pw to use with samba.

The biggest problem I see is that the AD admin could trivially deploy
keylogger.  So look in to a one-time-password system.

You could additionally install openvpn on the centos box, and only run samba
on the vpn virtual nic.  Then no matter who has what windows credentials
they would also need vpn credentials.  This could be set up in an afternoon.

On Feb 25, 2010 11:17 AM, "Haworth, Michael A." <